Today I came across The Partnership for 21st Century Skills which I think has accurately stated one of the main things missing from today's high stakes testing regimen, the lack of focus on 21st century skills.
The Partnership has issued a Transition Brief for the incoming administration of President-elect Obama entitled Policy Recommendations on Preparing Americans to Triumph in the Global Skills Race which is a call to action on this issue.
Here is how the Partnership's website describes the issue with one of the best graphics I have seen (click on the graphic to enlarge):
21ST CENTURY STUDENT OUTCOMES:
The elements described in this section as “21st century student outcomes” (represented by the rainbow) are the skills, knowledge and expertise students should master to succeed in work and life in the 21st century.
- Creativity and Innovation Skills
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills
- Communication and Collaboration Skills
- Flexibility & Adaptability
- Initiative & Self-Direction
- Social & Cross-Cultural Skills
- Productivity & Accountability
- Leadership & Responsibility